Friday, October 27, 2006

2006 World Series Game 4

It only needs to be said once: David Eckstein is the MAN! Watching him go 4-for-4 with three doubles including one in the bottom of the 8th to drive in the game-winning run fills me with conflicting emotions. I said it best in my post on Jacob Luft's blog at SI.com last night (and yes, I'm copying and pasting this because I'm a lazy bastard):

David Eckstein is the PERFECT example of how you can always find somebody to root for in the playoffs, even if your team didn't make it. Tommy Lasorda should have pulled "The X-Factor" out during those commercials, as watching Eckstein is a lot more fun that rooting against any team, even the Yankees (for you Boston fans.)

Of all the players I've seen slip through the seams in Anaheim, Eckstein is probably the one I miss the most. He's a modern-day Rudy, half the size of your average player, but ten times the heart. His presence in the Angels dugout is sorely missed, and I can't help but cheer for him wherever he goes. And watching him hit those three doubles tonight was enough reason to watch a World Series starring two teams I care little about.

It makes me a bit sad seeing Eckstein and Spezio in a World Series and wearing a red uniform (a color which we stole, but boy was it the perfect color to steal!) and remembering that this isn't 2002. But I can always get my daily allowance of sour grapes watching Jeff Weaver pitch.

So, Eckstein, Spezio, Edmonds, and the rest: I hope you take this series. I hope two guys that Bill Stoneman cast off from our club find the joy of winning in St. Louis.

but I hope you guys get shelled tomorrow. At least until Larussa pulls Weaver.

I hate the fact that we're still paying him millions to do for St. Louis what he couldn't in Anaheim: Win.

So, even if the Tigers win it, they can't do it in the 6 games I predicted now. And what good is history if you can't remind people about it at every turn? Of course, this isn't 1968 or 1985, so it doesn't mean it will happen again. A team with a 3-1 lead in the World Series has won 85% of the time. I'll take the Cardinals.

In 6, of course. I just can't pick them to win tonight with Jeff Weaver on the mound.

Unless, as I said, he gets shelled and pulled early, and the Cardinals come back to win it.

No comments: