Wednesday, October 04, 2006

League Division Series, Day 1

Today was a great day to be unemployed and a baseball fan! Of course, it was a day without my Angels, whom I would much rather have seen kicking ass in Detroit, but the A's earned it and deserve it. Of course, had we had somebody hitting behind Vlad Guerrero or a somewhat constant lineup where people can get comfortable and NOT MAKE SO MANY DAMN ERRORS...

But I digress. And since I have zero readers so far, I digress in a blog that's written only for myself. Sad, isn't it?

Today's games:

Athletics: 3 Twins: 2 And the game wasn't even that close. Two home runs from Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas, and the A's start out by BEATING Johan Santana, the AL's almost-guaranteed Cy Young winner and the main threat of the Twins. At this rate, my prediction looks solid!

Cardinals: 5 Padres: 1 Nor was this one as close as the score would suggest. A monster shot by Albert Pujols to dead center at Petco Park and an extremely lackluster performance by San Diego makes me worry about my pick in this one.

Yankees: 8 Tigers: 3 An extremely boring game for such a high-scoring game coupled with having to listen to Tim McCarver on Fox made for such an anti-climactic game on a great day of playoff baseball. Jeter was, well, Jeter, going 5-for-5 with two doubles and a Home Run.

Which brings me to Tim McCarver, the Rex Hudler of national broadcasts. If I were stuck in a room with Hudler and McCarver and had only one bullet in my gun, I'd probably use it on myself, as I could never decide which one's death would most benefit humanity.

A-Rod Watch: 1-4, 1K. He was hitting the ball hard, but that performance ain't gonna cut it when Jeter has the night he had...

And, as I sign off for the night, my wife and I are watching "Field of Dreams." She's never seen it, and I know she won't love it like guys love it, but I have hope...

No comments: