Sunday, October 15, 2006

LCS Day 5. Oh, and days 3 and 4 too

Yeah, I slacked. I admit it. I'm not sure if it was the weekend binge of a cheap booze and expensive hookers or that, after two weeks of this blog, I got my first comment on one of my posts (thank you Scott Topiol) and my ego couldn't handle the sudden fame brought on by an adoring public and I snapped in a manner that makes Mel Gibson's DUI arrest look like reading to sick children in the hospital.

Either that, or I just didn't feel like it.

With that said, my apologies, but I'm sure nobody missed me. After all, if you're reading this for my writing, you know that creativity cannot be rushed and should be willing to wait a few days for the muses to inspire me once again. If you're reading this for the baseball scores and have thusly been ignorant of the happenings in the LCS, well, you found this blog, I'm sure you can find SI.com or even a local newspaper. Of course, this all hinges on the "if you are reading this," which, so far, nobody really is.

With that said, on to the commentary you've been so desperate to read.

ALCS: Athletics vs. Tigers

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta. The Tigers (yes, the TIGERS!) are going to the World Series. I called them to beat the A's in 6, and they one-upped me by sweeping them. I picked the Tigers based on only the momentum coming off not only beating but humiliating the Yankees in the LDS. I picked them to win in 5 because, well, the A's are as close as the Angels have to a rivalry, and it just feels good to predict them to choke again. Of course, it feels much, much better to actually SEE it happen.

NLCS: Mets vs. Cardinals

Since my last post, the NLCS has played three games. The Mets won the first, 2-0 on another performance on the mound from Tom Glavine you've come to expect from him. Then the Cards won the next two with a lot of help from Scott Spezio, who hit 2-run triples in both game 2 and game three. His postseason heroics are not unknown to us Angels fans, as he made me weep tears of joy with is home run in the 7th inning of game 6 of the 2002 World Series, providing the turning point that brought a World Championship to a team I never expected (or even dreamed) would get one. I called the Cardinals in 5, but this series looks like it could actually bring some excitement the playoffs have been lacking this year.

Not to say that the playoffs this year have been boring. Just that there's been so little suspense in the playoffs this year. Not that every postseason should be pure magic like 2002 or 2004, but it's something we've come to expect a little. Though I'm sure fans in the midwest would disagree, with Detroit winning the American League championship, and the Cardinals obviously not reading their press clippings where everybody counted them out of it.

No matter if there's little dramatic tension. I'll keep watching.

No comments: