Saturday, October 28, 2006

And the 2007 predictions start...

One day. Less than that, really. I got up today at about noon, did my check of the usual news and sports sites and came across this article by Tony DeMarco at msnbc.com.

It took less than one day for some professional sportswriter to post his predictions for the 2007 season. I'm a bit impressed, actually. It certainly takes balls to put your prognosticating skills on the line before a single player files for free agency, before the winter meetings, before a single signing or trade, hell, before all the confetti is even cleaned up at Busch Stadium.

I'd probably scoff a little bit, act superior, do a bit of internet trash talking if he hadn't picked the Angels to win the American League Pennant. DeMarco says:

Los Angeles: They didn’t pull the trigger to add offense when they desperately needed it, and it cost them. They won’t make that mistake this winter, when you can count on a big bat being added. And you have to figure a Mike Scioscia team will play better fundamentally and defensively than in 2006. There should be enough pitching to make an extended run, so here is your AL pennant winner.

Doesn't that just make you smile a bit? Well, so long as you're an Angels fan. It's even better if you're a Mets fan, as he picks them to beat us in the World Series.

I'm not gonna comment too much on his psychic abilities, because I was a whopping 3-for-7 in postseason series this year, and though that's a good record if your name is Jeff Weaver (Ba-DUM-bum!), it's shitty when you consider that I was making predictions the day before play started in each series. DeMarco is picking the World Series winner a whole year (give or take a day or two) in advance. I can't do that.

I'm not even going to sit here and say that the Angels are my pick for the AL Pennant. It's just too early for me. I think the Angels have as good a chance as anybody, and we're going to be a force to be reckoned with if we get some more hitting, but AL Champs? It would be nice...

I'd be doing this blog regardless of whether I thought the Angels could go all the way this year. Like Stephen King and Stewarn O'Nan in their book "Faithful," I may have picked the right year to do this, but there's a damn good chance this blog won't end with a final post entitled "ANGELS WIN WORLD SERIES!" But unlike King and O'Nan, this isn't for publishing. This is to keep me writing, to hone my skills, to keep my brain working, and to be a better fan. I'd like to get a bunch of readers, but only to get some discussion going, some comments to give me ideas for posts, and make new friends with a similar passion. And I'd be doing it even if the Angels were picked to finish behind the Kansas City Royals.

For the thousandth time, this is not a blog about Angels moves, scores, and standings. This is a blog about me enjoying a season with my favorite team. And win or lose, championship or cellar, I will be there the entire year.

But oh boy would it be nice to write a blog about a year being an Angels fan in a season when they win it all...

Wish I'd have thought of this in 2002.

Now, a bit of Angels roster news. Before you point out to me that just three paragraphs ago I wrote "this is not a blog about Angels moves, scores, and standings," I have to say I'd be a bad blogger if I didn't include all the Angels news items I could. If you get news, though, you'll certainly get my opinion.

This wasn't in any of the usual sports sites I read daily, but Sportingnews.com reports that the Angels have released Curtis Pride. I've seen him play a few times, filling in for injured or resting players, but never knew much about him. I certainly didn't know he was drafted in 1986 and has bounced around more teams than a nymphomaniac groupie. I can't remember one thing about him, other than his great name. I feel bad that he's never really made it, and I'm sorry he couldn't with us. But I hope it's not too late for him, that he finds a team this offseason and has a great year. (edit: Upon doing more research, I had no idea that Curtis Pride is deaf. I think it's great that I had no idea about this, as I've watched him play as any normal player, seeing him for his talent, not his disability.)

On a closing note, I've decided that, in the spirit of my team, I'm making all my clickies in this blog red instead of the usual blue. I hope it isn't too confusing, as it seems the logical choice.

And if we win the World Series a year from now (give or take a few days), I'll credit it entirely to the karma of the red clickies.

No comments: